Sunday 17 April 2016

Salute 2016

Yesterday I had a day out in London to attend "Salute 2016" - and a good day out it was.


I took a wad of cash with me but this special edition magazine (and a lunchtime "Bad Boy" burger) is all I bought.

The day before I was considering a buying list and trying to plan which merchants I would visit and what figures or accessories did I want. I looked in my desk and there was nothing specific that came to mind so I thought I would buy whatever took my fancy. When I was at the show, nothing grabbed my attention, so as I said, all I bought was the magazine.

Having said this, I had a really good day, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There was a lot of sci-fi and fantasy; as a great fan of sci-fi/fantasy films I liked checking out the figures although some of the RPG female figures were a bit close to being an adolescent boy's fantasy.

I had a few good chats with dealers and gamers, including a ten minute talk with the author Dr. Stephen Summerfield about the 1808/09 campaign in Spain, a very interesting chap. I watched and admired a few games, one sparked another film related memory. A large table with a Vietnam game, lots of palm trees, as soon as I saw it into my head popped "This is the end, beautiful friend", the opening sequence of "Apocalypse Now" with the Doors. That was my earworm for the next hour.

On the train home I finished the biography of Sir John Moore I bought at Sheffield Triples.

All things considered, a good day out.

My desk - the middle and bottom drawers hold my metal mountain

Work in progress - a lot of Ottoman figures (Dixon, Red Box and Zvezda)

No comments:

Post a Comment