Tuesday 14 July 2015

Easingwold, Christpher Lee, cricket, Omar Sharif, Bladerunner


"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"


What a weekend.

Three weeks ago, I wrote that our landlord had decided to sell this house so we had to find new accommodation. Over the last two weeks I have visited a dozen houses in York, none of which were suitable. First thing Saturday morning we drove to Easingwold to view the house we saw three weeks ago and we have agreed to take it. We move in the middle of August. All we have to do now is find a removals company and to pack.

We got home at around lunchtime and then I settled down to watch some cricket. England v Australia, the first test match of a five match series. We won by 169 runs. England won in four days, a very convincing win. I am trying not to sound triumphalist because it is the first match of five but

ENGLAND WON

This called for a celebration dinner - Café Rouge in York - steaks, frites, some nice wine, nice desserts - excellent.

Next thing. BBC TV were showing three Hammer horror films from the mid-50's to honour the recent deaths of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. I watched the first, "The Mummy". I recorded the other two, "The Curse of Frankenstein" and the best of all "Dracula". We have to watch them soon, as we have a Virgin Media package so when we move Virgin will take the set-top box with the recordings and we will lose any unwatched stuff.

Sunday afternoon, B was off at a dressage competition with her horse so I went to Cityscreen cinema in York to see "Bladerunner - the Final Cut". Staff at the cinema have assured me this is the final "Final Cut". What a treat and yes, it was better than the last version. For me, "Bladerunner" is the best sci-fi film ever made, the filming, the mise en scene, the story and the angst of Deckerd, even Rutger Hauer's acting.

I could not finish without a mention of the passing of Omar Sharif at the weekend. A very fine actor, great performances for David Lean in "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Doctor Zhivago". My favourite film of his is "The Last Valley". Set in the Thirty Years War somewhere in Southern Germany, this is not a great film but it is a film I watch every two or three years and always enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment