Tuesday 5 August 2014

Fortress Visit Report : Feste Wagner / Fort de Verny

My recent stay in Metz - I took a bus ride to Verny, to visit the German built fort there.

In German - Feste Wagner. In French - Fort de Verny.

Built between 1904 and 1910, during the Annexation. Part of the outer ring of fortifications around Metz.

Slowly and lovingly being restored by ADFM, (Association pour le Decouverte de la Fortification Messine) since the mid-1980's. They organise walking tours around the work on Sundays and Thursdays during the summer, it takes about three hours. A very knowledgeable guide, French only, no English spoken. I would write a better explanation for the site but I have packed away my books ready for the house move on Friday. I will write a separate post about the forts around Metz, when we are settled and back from holidays.

Outside the fort is still dangerous with uncollected ordinance

Barracks building

Ready built position for train-mobile artillery

Part of the extensive barbed wire fields


"Escargot" sentry post

Howitzer block




Cannon block


55mm cannons for local defence

Railings for access control

No comments:

Post a Comment