Sunday 16 February 2014

Spring Trip to Metz - request for help

For this year's spring trip to a Vauban fort I have decided to go to Metz in early June. If anyone has been to this part of Lorraine and has some ideas for visiting fortifications I would be very pleased to hear from you.

I am planning to travel by train to Paris and then on to Metz by TGV. My itinerary includes the following visits.

1. A trip to Longwy to explore the Vauban fortress.

2. A walk around Metz to see the medieval and later works.

3. Fort Queuleu, if open.

4. A trip to Groupe Fortifie L'Aisne / Feste Wagner.

All the visits will be by bus or train.


I have the following books in my study.

1. "The German Fortress of Metz" by Clayton Donnell.
2. "Les Fortifications Allemands d'Alsace - Lorraine 1870 - 1918" by Philippe Burtscher & Francois Hoff.
3. "Lorraine 1944" by Steven Zaloga. I will order his later Osprey book on the struggle for Metz in 1944.
4. Several books on the Franco-Prussian War.
5. Several books on the WW1, particularly August/Sept 1914.
6. Several books on the Maginot Line.


As I say, if anyone does have any ideas on the above two lists or additions, then I would like to hear from you.








No comments:

Post a Comment