Saturday 8 September 2012

Turkey 2012 - reading list

So, off to Bodrum for a week with my partner, same place as last year, give my partner a rest from the high pressured existence of a senior civil servant.

A very good hotel with a terrific pool, some reading will be in order. Last year I read Richard Holmes' biography of John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough. This was an excellent read and I learnt some things to add to my store of French history. This year I thought I would try his biography of Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington. Both books claim their subject to be Britain's greatest ever soldier/general, my feelings lean towards John Churchill but I could be convinced otherwise.
A good second hand copy from Amazon



 These next two - I was in Waterstone's (a national chain of booksellers) in York when I spotted this next book and it piqued my interest. I remember I heard a few years ago that Venice was a world power in the 14th - 16th centuries, so I thought I would go for that.



A reserve book, just in case.





No comments:

Post a Comment